Makes 12 Large or 24 Small Buns.
Light and fluffy keto buns, made with the Tortilla Baking Mix. Big enough for a hamburger or bunwich lunch. Or you can make smaller soup sized buns. Add you favorite seeds and a teaspoon of herbs or spice for variations.
* The bun is almost as good if you skip the added oil for a lower calorie version, will be slightly smaller.
**Proportions are important for this recipe . Follow measurements closely.
Mix will make 12 large buns or 24 small buns.
Mix 1/2 cup mix with 1 T oil, 1 to 2 T of seeds of your choice, 3/4 c hot water. Combine in a stand up mixer or bowl and mix until combined and dough forms.
Empty your dough onto a parchment sheet, knead into a soft dough ball. Cut into quarters for small buns. Cut into half for hamburger bun. Try to make the buns as even as possible for even cooking.
Roll into smaller balls. Make sure the balls are very even and uniform. This will allow for more uniform cooking and a nicer finished product.
For large buns roll into 2. Flatten slightly. Place on a microwave safe plate. Use parchment paper to avoid sticking. Keep buns evenly space - will double in size.
Microwave small buns for 6 minutes. Microwave larger buns for 6:30 minutes. Times may vary depending on power of microwave. These time are based on 900W on high power. If making multiple batches wipe moisture off inside of microwave. Let cool and dry on a rack.
- 1/2 cup Tortilla Baking Mix
- 3/4 c boiling water
- 1 T oil
- 1 - 2 T flax seeds
- optional add 1t Italian spice or 1/4t garlic powder.
- Pour dry mix, flax seeds into bowl. Add boiling water and oil
- Mix until the dough starts to come together into a gelatinous ball. Continue mixing for 1 to 2 minutes until dough has cooled down. Use a stand up mixer or mix by hand with a spoon.
- Knead dough into a soft ball, cut into 4 pieces for small buns and 2 pieces for large buns.
- Roll each piece in your hands to form a round ball.
- Place dough balls on parchment paper on a microwave plate. Keep dough evenly spaced it will double in size.
- Microwave small buns for 6 minutes on high power. Microwave large buns for 6:30 minutes. Times may vary depending on strength of microwave. Time is based on 900W microwave on high power.
- Let cool and dry on a rack.
- Will keep at room temperature for a few days or refrigerate for longer life.
- If making multiple batches wipe down moisture from the inside of microwave. Watch cook times; the first batch will take longer to cook. As the dough absorbs the moisture cook time will be reduced.